Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Psalm 170 and Ben Harper preaching on Sunday

So Sunday's Readings could NOT have been more powerful, eh?

All about life in the storms and trusting in God.

Job - God says I MADE the seas, how could you doubt me
Psalm 170 - Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress; he made the storm be still, and the waves of the sea were hushed. Then they were glad because they had quiet, and he brought them to their desired haven.
Corinthians - Therefore, if any one is in Christ, he is a new creation; the
old has passed away, behold, the new has come.
Mark - And he awoke and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, "Peace! Be still!" And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. He said to them, "Why are you afraid? Have you no faith?"


I am so struck how God really reaches down to me and says "Peace! Be still". This advice can not come at a better time, as I am so stressed at work that I am having nightmares about my users chasing me all over town with knives to stab me. Hmmm. Work has been so overwhelming that it has felt like a tidal wave has flooded me. My prayer has been simply, "Lord, help me not to drown."

It is still my prayer, but God lets me know that if he can MAKE the oceans then he can surely handle my little problem of too many action items on my to do list, I do beleive. And in the gospel he may as well be speaking directly to me, "Why are you afraid? Have you no faith?" Am I a bad person if the answer to that question is no?

So this past weekend we were in Minnesota for Sus' lovely wedding and the "Tucks to be", PUITA and I were discussing what storms were in our lives, especially work and right at a pregnant pause in the discussion, where we were each silently pondering our own life-storms, from the new Ben Harper CD, Ben echos our sentiments by blasting out,
"Living these days is making me N E R Vous!" So brother Ben, can relate. He is speaking about the war in Iraq, but there are certainly other items in life that make us N E R Vous! So God knows I have many more things that make me figity and He speaks to me to trust in him so that I may have quiet and let him bring me to a safe haven.

So the new Ben Harper CD is AWESOME! This latest go round has some very political expressions on the war and on New Orleans, and it strikes me that he such a great musician, always growing in style and expression and not afraid to be stuck in one musical mold. Also, I beleive that each person has the obligation to express their thoughts and reactions to their times. And most especially an artist. Listen to this video of the first song on the CD. www.benharper.net if the link doesn't work fer ya.

Speaking of New Orleans, Mr. Tuck was telling me that a lot of WINE was broken or abandoned in New Orleans! What Travesty! Now I know there were rescue missions to get the abandoned pets out of the city, but what about the abondoned wine! I think the wine, too, deserves a safe haven and shelter from the storm. Salut.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"in this desert land
I know some rain must fall
see where we began
we've come so far
on this harbor shore
we hear the ocean call
in our minds at war
we have so far to go

shine with all the untold
hold the light given unto you
find the love to unfold
in this broken world we choose

in unending storms
we search for space to breathe
how our hearts are worn
we've come so far
in this desert
how we blossom and we cease
tell your story now
we have so much to know"
-Vienna Weng "Shine"

It's a beautifully strange dance of blossoming and ceasing, desert and storms, but my heart rests knowing who the lead is, and that I have friends such as you out there on the dance floor. Shine On!

10:14 AM  
Blogger Felicia said...

It's interesting to me that you wrote about the readings on Sunday. They had a very profound and peaceful effect on me.

PUITA,that was beautiful.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Felicia said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll volunteer for the wine rescue effort. I had never stopped to consider many good vintages' fate. Jewel says she'll go where I go.
love you.

2:51 PM  
Blogger rita said...

And I think of the disciples' reaction to Jesus as he sleeps through the storms.

"Lord, does it not matter to you that we are going to drown?" Mark 4:38

Yep, I can relate to that line of questioning!! :)

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home