Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Empty Closets and more


Sunday was one of those weekend days where you get on a cleaning/laundry tear and the next thing you know you're cleaning out your closet to get rid of shirts you've had since high school, old bridesmaid dresses (Elizabeth... not YOURS) that flannel shirt you never wear but is so comfortable you're convinced you MAY some day soon.

How liberating I now feel.... how in control.... how much more aware of what I DO have now... how much more room for shopping for new clothes I have...

Then father has to go and harp all mass long on the need to "Empty our Hearts...." to make room for what God wants. Hmmmmmm.... Why do I feel set up?

So lets see,,,, what do I have in my heart that I never use or that's been there since high school or is really so not modern any more...

Well.................................. there's all this stress from work... boy talk about an old rag that I NEVER can use for anything ... all this doubt about..ummm.. my life's direction..... I think that matched an old outfit I used to wear.... lack of a usable prayer life.. that's a WORN OUT pair of slippers that are very comfortable. Anger.. that matches Everything! And that crap is just thrown about on the floor and here and there and everywhere I can't really see what I DO have in my heart.

I know how to empty a closet, but how does one go about emptying one's heart exactly? When I cleaned out my closet I went through each thing one by one... yes... no... maybe go... That just seems like an exhausting task to do with my heart. I could pray, "God please empty my heart." This is like the take everything out of the closet and throw it on the floor approach, then decide which things you want to put back in, and burn everything else without having to look at it again. I like this idea.

Or.... perhaps there is a middle ground by quickly grouping everything. This is how I cleaned the linen/junk closet back at my mom's house. All clothes in one pile. All linens in another pile. All papers/pictures in a third pile. This is a Quick Triage approach. Prayer life... what do I do well, what has to go? Work life... what do I do well, what has to go. There's different sections of my heart-closet isn't there?


Father tells me the outcome of all this emptying will be more room for good stuff. God can have room to deliver better stuff in my life ... I can see more clearly my good stuff and not let the bad stuff cloud my vision of myself. I can be liberated ............... I can have more control. Gotta go now... Off to the mall..

1 Comments:

Blogger rita said...

Rojo- I love your illustrations, comparing our heart to our closets...very identifiable. I find that pride compliments anger and goes great with tunnel vision! Must rid myself, must clean the closet...

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home